Apply International Driving Permit
Driving Abroad with International Driving Permit
A. Introduction :::
IDP is issued in accordance with the 1949 Convention. The permit should be valid for driving in the territory of all the contracting countries/places [please see the application form TD51]. But there may be differences or changes in the policy or conditions of using an IDP to drive the contracting countries/places concerned, applicants are suggested to make enquires to the Consulates or resident offices of the countries/places concerned for details before making application for an IDP or before driving in the countries/places concerned.
International Driving Permit is valid for one year from the date of issue.
B. Eligibility :::
If you are Hong Kong resident holding a Hong Kong full driving licence and wish to drive abroad, you may apply for issue of an International Driving Permit (IDP).
C. Supporting Documents :::
1. HKID (Photocopy)
2. HK Driving License (Photocopy)
3. Two identical, new and recent photos, with white background, size 40mm × 50mm taken full face without headwear.
4. Original or photocopy of proof of present address (proof of address)
D. Application Form :::
E. Processing Time :::
1. You may book an appointment through Transport Department's Appointment Booking Service online by logging on to www.gov.hk/idpabs or by calling the hotline at 37638080 to apply for an International Driving Permit at the designated counter of the selected Licensing Office.
2. In person or by agent to (if the application is submitted by an agent, the agent is required to produce his/her own original identity document for record purpose):
(1) Transport Department Hong Kong Licensing Office at 3/F., United Centre, 95 Queensway, Hong Kong; or
(2) Transport Department Kowloon Licensing Office at 2/F., Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon; or
(3) Transport Department Kwun Tong Licensing Office at 5/F., Kowloon East Government Offices, 12 Lei Yue Mun Road, Kowloon; or
(4) Transport Department Sha Tin Licensing Office at 2/F., Sha Tin Government Offices, No. 1 Sheung Wo Che Road, Sha Tin, New Territories.
F. Fee :::
HK$580- International Driving Permit is valid for one year from the date of issue.